Saturday 25 June 2011

Random Truck Photos: 1950s Chevrolet tow truck.

While driving through Gawler late one afternoon, this very cool looking Chevrolet tow truck caught my eye, glowing in the golden sunlight as it sat near the main road. So I parked on the side of the road, grabbed my camera and walked over to the dirt driveway where it was sitting. There was a woman doing some gardening nearby, so I asked her if it would be ok if I took some photos of the truck, as it looked very cool. She said she would have to go and ask her husband, as it was his truck.

I had a look around the property as I was waiting for him to come out, there were old cars and trucks all over the place; the kind of sight I can't get enough of as a car nut. The man made his way over to me slowly with his walker, where I introduced myself and asked about the Chevy. 

The owner's name was Stan (he's in a couple of the photos), and he said it had been for sale for a while, but no takers as of yet. I think that would be more due to practicality than lack of interest; I still think about buying it and doing a restoration job to bring it back to its former glory. Although then there are the numerous problems with that plan regarding space, time, money, parts, labor, money and metal fabrication skills. But these photos were taken in October 2008, and I'm not sure if the Chev and other cars would still even be there now. 

But anyway, here are the photos of the very cool Chevrolet tow truck, and a few of the other vehicles scattered around the front yard.

  Photographer: Rohan Phillips 
Camera: Nikon D300 
Lens: Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED 
(all photos) 






















Another interesting old truck in Stan's front yard, a Bedford. From the looks of it, the truck may have been used to transport horses or other livestock back in the day.















Here are just a few of the other old cars that were on the property. There were plenty more out the back, but after standing around chatting and taking photos for quite a while, Stan and his wife had to head out to a friend's place for dinner. 


2 comments:

  1. It'd be a shame to see it go to waste, but like all of these rescue missions, big coin is always involved! Great find though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greg. I'm not sure if it's still there or not, although I know a couple of people who live in this town.

    ReplyDelete