Saturday 18 June 2011

Random Car Spotting: Volkswagen Beetle 'Rat Bug'

2009.





 Photographer: Rohan Phillips
Camera: Nikon D300
Lens: Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
Exposure: 1/4000 @ f/3.5, ISO 200 


I took this photo in April 2009. After attending a few hot rod and custom car show events in the previous few months, I've really started to like one of the 'rat rod' styles in particular; matt black paint, intricate pinstriping, red wheels with chrome/metal hubcaps and whitewall tyres.

While I was sitting at the lights one weekday afternoon, and actually thinking about the rat styled cars I'd seen at a drive-in movie cruise, the VW Beetle in the pictures turned across the intersection in front of me. Luckily it pulled into a Sprint Auto Parts store and I was able to move around and pull into the carpark to get a few shots of it. 

The driver turned out to be a girl in her late 20s, she came out while I was taking the photos. I complimented her on the cool car, she said the paint was a GM Satin Black colour, and after chatting for a few minutes she headed off home. I haven't seen the car again since, or any other Beetles so strikingly customised.

No comments:

Post a Comment