Monday 27 June 2011

My Cefiro #1: The Carsales ad.

Having owned an R31 Nissan Skyline GTS coupe in 2007, which I sold in early 2008, it was followed by an EG Civic, I started missing the feeling and power of a turbocharged rear wheel drive. 

So after thinking about maybe getting another R31 or a newer R32 Skyline, I decided that a Cefiro would be the best car for what I wanted to do with it. Which was to have a car that sounded good, handled well, had a bit of power to it, as well as the practicality of a four door sedan. I love the sound of the Nissan RB series engines, and Cefiros have that, but without the cop-bait circular tail lights of the Skylines. They were also one of my first choices of a Japanese import to buy in 2003-2004, but due to my health constantly being too poor to allow me even a marginal amount of paid work, I had to sit back and watch all my friends buy the cars I wanted, while I was stuck with dreams of being able to buy a nice car.

At the time in early 2010 I was also planning on using it for track days and drift practices and Mallala, but with my health taking a massive plunge in 2010, that's not realistic any more due to strength and money complications. Hopefully it's something I can do in the future though. Here's a YouTube video by Ryan Vandjik of a South Australian Cefiro drifting at Mallala and Adelaide International Raceway a few years ago.





Skylines are very common cars now in Australia, particularly R33s, and while there are a few Cefiros around the place, they are fairly rare, and there only tends to be 6-8 for sale nationwide on www.carsales.com.au at any one time.

Given that Cefiros are a very popular drift car, several of them would be track-only cars, or highly modified and a bit much for what I wanted, and sometimes both, and completely hammered. So after checking on the Carsales website and several Japanese import forums over the course of several months in early 2010, I finally came across an ad for a Cefiro that looked promising, and was actually in SA which was rare.

While it did have a bit of the 'drift pig' look going with the panda style black boot and bonnet, it had some aftermarket goodies that were exactly what I was after, but with a fairly standard engine and some nice 17" Buddy Club P1 rims. So after having a bit of a think and reading over the specs and looking through the pictures, I decided to give the seller a call. When I looked at the contact details, both the name and number seemed familiar for some reason.

So I started typing the number into my phone, and it came up with the name Vince. With Adelaide being such a small world, Vince had complied a couple of my friends' cars, and I'd also chatted with him at a nearby workshop (Boostworx) during a dyno day a little while back. But the reason he was in my phone already was that I had his R33 Nissan Skyline GT-R on my feature car list to shoot for High Performance Imports magazine. So after giving him a call and asking a few questions, I headed over to his import compliance workshop to have a look at the car in person, to see what sort of condition the car was in, and take it for a bit of a drive to see what it was like.

Here are the photos from the carsales ad, taken by Vince.













2 comments:

  1. Sound and Power are two among the good qualities of Cefiros. The maintenance of cefiro is very few compare to other cars. Its fit into the budget of normal person

    NYS Defensive Driving Course Online

    ReplyDelete
  2. automotive train horn is another leading manufacturer of train horn kits. Leslie is on the air industry by providing a loud noise with less air consumption, in fact, the product development team here available for the creation of the most modern and comprehensive product line on the pipe is known to concentrate.

    ReplyDelete